Saturday, February 15, 2014

Spin me round

It's been over a week since I last updated I don't even know where to begin. I could go on a long rant about all my crazy emotions and the insanity of the world, but that would be a major bummer for you to read and I'm too lazy to write such a long post. Let's just say that I'm so relieved to have made it to the weekend after enduring an emotional week.  To spin the entire week around I'm going to highlight all the good things happening around here and completely leave out all the awful stuff.

I spent some time on Monday hanging out with a friend, cooking soup, making Valentine's and coming up with an awesome meal plan for the week. I'm so thankful for her friendship. She has an adorable eight month old and it was so fun to watch her squirm around and almost crawl.

On Tuesday I had my suppression check and got the green light for IVF. Yay for no unexpected delays and a bonus supportive call from my sister! I also had an amazing acupuncture session and made it to the halfway point of my first quarter being adjunct faculty. 

On Wednesday I successfully placed my order for my IVF meds, got complimented on a pretty new dress at work and made my husband very happy by cooking crockpot BBQ pulled pork for the first time ever. Additionally, my mom and I had a much needed bonding phone conversation.

Thursday I kicked some ass navigating three jobs and then reunited with a couple girls from my support group at a pre-valentine party. We laughed and roared sharing stories until 11:30pm and validated each others feelings about the craziness of this insane journey.

Friday I spent the day on house arrest, waiting for my IVF meds to be delivered. In the morning I bonded with Chile, brushed him and played with him, while watching the olympics. I painted my nails, cleaned up the house and hung out in my pajamas all day. My meds arrived on time with everything intact. I got excellent customer service from Walgreens Specialty throughout the entire process and am very happy with them. 


J and I stayed in for a romantic Valentine's day dinner of Macaroni and Blue Cheese with Velvet Kale. Please excuse my laziness on the subpar image quality of the recipes, but they are too good not to share. Plus I love to burst some bubbles that nutrition is not about low fat foods. I firmly believe in the enjoyment of eating and the nourishment of mind and body and my mind and body were in need of some comfort food. I used Kerrygold grass fed aged cheddar and Amish Salemville blue cheese. I doubled the Velvet kale recipe, but followed the mac and cheese recipe pretty closely (it filled an 8x8 pan providing four large servings).



For dessert a friend and I had made heart shaped apple tarts with rustic almond and cornmeal crust. We split the batch and they turned out so yummy. 


After dinner J helped me prep everything to do my first injections. I did the Follistim injection with ease. Go me! Then I had to do some breathing, get a shoulder massage from J and crank up some Lady Gaga to complete the mini-hcg injection, but we did it.

Today is a super chill, lazy, rainy day we are spending at home listening to music, lounging around and eating leftovers. 


I started putting together a HUGE 1000 piece puzzle of E.T. amidst a ton of stuffed animals. J had to set up three tables for me just to have enough surface area to lay out all the pieces. I figure the puzzle will be a great distraction during this IVF cycle and I love E.T.!


Wow, what an incredible spin on my week when I write out all the things I am thankful for; the resulting effect is heart warming. I have so much in my life to be thankful for and I am truly grateful. I follow a lot of blogs and am thinking of each of you, whether you are in your two week wait, taking a break from TTC, waiting to begin treatments, grieving a loss, in the midst of an IUI or IVF cycle, newly pregnant, or approaching the next pregnancy milestone. I cherish reading about your life and feel so lucky to have found each other through this crazy internet. 

Peace out,
Marcy

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes, they look delicious! And congrats on starting your meds - I'll be thinking of you and sending lots of love and good luck your way over the coming weeks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for the recipes! Btw, I followed your advice on talking to my bosses and I couldn't believe how simple it was "x day off for a medical procedure etc." I was freaking out until you made it easy for me. Huge thanks for the excellent advice and preventing me from launching into a full emotional IVF explanation.

      Delete
    2. Good effort! I'm really glad it worked for you.

      Delete
  2. I love puzzles! It's going to snow again here on Tuesday and now I know what I'm going to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puzzles for the win! It's been windy and raining sideways here. Keep warm.

      Delete
  3. Your valentine dinner looks AMAZING. And those apple tarts look so perfectly golden-brown. Yum!! You rock—cooking and injections! Do you feel like a superstar? I hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tart crust recipe was AMAZING and a truly beautiful rustic golden flecked color. I kinda did feel like a superstar, so ya thanks for confirming it.

      Delete
  4. Way to put a good spin on your week! And seriously it doesn't sound that bad! (I know you left all the shit stuff out) I am excited that you have started your IVF injections! When is your approx. retrieval date?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know right, sounds pretty good when all the shit gets left out. Egg retrieval if all goes well will likely be Feb 25, 26, 27. Thanks for your excitment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that macaroni and cheese and velvet kale sound amazing. I'm going to have to make those. Good for you for putting a positive spin on your week. It's amazing what viewing things through that lens can do for a person, and it inspires me to try that more. Thinking positive thoughts that this IVF cycle goes smoothly, quickly, peacefully, and successfully for you.

    ReplyDelete