Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Chile is broken

Waiting in the exam room at the vet
Chile has been limping since Sunday and it wasn't getting any better, so today I took him to the vet. I hoped that it would turn out to be a thorn in his paw that I overlooked, but I knew from the way he was limping that it was more likely a pulled or torn muscle. The vet examined him starting at the paw and found nothing, then moving up the leg she got to the part that is the quadruped equivalent to a human knee and found the problem. She immediately diagnosed it as a torn cranial cruciate ligament and said from the amount of movement it seems to be a complete tear and will need surgery. I didn't freak out. I kept trying to hold onto my zen. I asked about pain management and timing of surgery and wondered why there was no swelling and why Chile wasn't displaying any pain. I thought about how strange life is and that me and my dog will both be having surgeries soon. All this while trying to remain calm. She said that swelling doesn't happen right away in this type of injury and that although he appears stoic it is likely painful and she prescribed Tramadol for temporary pain management until I take him to a surgeon to do a full exam and blood work.  When we got home I got online and looked into various animal hospitals in the area and finally settled on one that was recommended by a friend. So tomorrow Chile goes in for a second opinion before we go ahead with surgery, which will likely happen in the next week or two. Please send your thoughts and prayers our way as we navigate his long recovery.

********

Today is stim day 6 and I had my second monitoring appointment this morning. I again had the substitute doctor and I really liked his zen. He asked how the injections were going and how I was feeling and I surprisingly I feel great. I told him that it is strange how big the follicles look and yet I can't feel my ovaries at all. He said that it varies and that some women do feel it at this point and some don't. I explained how sensitive I typically am to everything and how refreshing it is for me to enjoy the smooth and calm response so far even though I know it won't last forever. I am enjoying it right now! He smiled and told me some of the symptoms that I might experience as the follicles grow much bigger, but then stopped and slyly said that he didn't want to put ideas in my head. I am still spotting a little bit, which he said should stop soon. He measured all the follicles and showed me the summary report at the end. I casually skimmed it and I think there were 15 follicles total ranging from ~5-8mm. I asked about my estradiol level and what it should be today and how high it will go at the end. He said it should double to greater than 100 today that the target level varies quite a bit depending on how many follicles there are.

Afterwards I met with my IVF coordinator briefly so she could check to see how I'm doing. I haven't really figured this woman out yet, we didn't click right away but I think she is slowly growing on me. There was some discussion about the size of my follicles and when I will be starting Ganirelix and if the RE had estimated when my egg retrieval will be. He said nothing about either during the appointment, so we were really just guessing, but we'll know a lot more at Friday's ultrasound anyway and Dr. Jam will be back! I asked about lifting or exercise limitations and she vaguely said there might be some in the future if my ovaries get really bogged down. I have lifted Chile several times in the last few days and he weighs about 45 lbs. Even though she said I'm fine, I'm not buying it but thankfully I'm not lifting him anymore as he seems to have adapted to getting around on three legs. Also on Friday I have an appointment with a ARNP for my pre-op exam. My estradiol level came back at100 and something, which I can't remember since I answered the phone in the vet waiting room and was in shock. I do remember that she said to continue at the same 300 IU of Follistim and 20 IU of mini-hcg. I haven't really written much about injections yet and I am planning to do a post about them at some point to give anyone out there some insights into our approach and routine.  SPOILER ALERT: J is a total weenie and I've been doing all the injections myself. Thankfully he is still helping with other parts of the process or I would be in jail for his murder. Tonight I made him promise that he will do whatever he has to to get over his needle fear so he can do the progesterone injections in my ass. He promised. I think I better not worry about it until the time comes.

Lay low, let it go and roll with it. Repeat again and again.

Peace out,
Marcy

9 comments:

  1. Do you have an email address? I don't have a blog but I just had my ET on Sunday..........and my dog had his ACL repait (called a TPLO in dog speak) last September.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie! Oh my gosh, I hope your embryo is snuggling in deep and your wait is passing quickly. I would love some more info on your dog. No blog you say?! You can reach me at my hotmail account mocarbon13. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. OH boy. We've totally been there with the CrCl! Our dog had surgery about 2 years ago to repair one. Please know that while costly we opted for a surgery named TPLO (not sure of the acronym) and she has 100% range of motion and has no restrictions what so ever. The surgery is controversial because of how invasive it is however our girl was just a puppy and we felt this would give her the best and longest chance at a normal dog life. There are so many factors to take into consideration. We also decided on this type of surgery because our surgeon (at Tufts in Massachusetts) performed this surgery more than any other and we wanted him doing what he did best. We waited almost 4-6 months to do the surgery because of sheer numbers from a cost perspective and she was fine. We kept her quiet and gave her tramadol and rimadol. UGH! I'm so sorry, this is such a sucky thing!! PLEASE email me if you have any questions that I can answer for you. infertile625@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heidi, what a bummer your dog also had this, but I'm so glad that it resulted in 100% range of motion with no restrictions. I'm not even sure which questions to ask about the TPLO. Thanks so much for offering to be a resource. I'm sure I'll come up with some questions.

      Delete
    2. The one piece of advice I would give is to keep her completely immobile will be tough but it will be so worth it when she recovers that much quicker. We bought these plastic pen gates that we set up for her wherever we were and they kept her from trying to jump. Although in the beginning she won't want to do anything. It's pretty sad. I think I cried. Prayer are with Chile & you my dear!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the comments on my blog; I'm surfing over to see what's up with you. It sounds like your IVF is progressing nicely! How exciting. I hope your little dog is feeling better soon. :-) Best of luck and I will be following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for the well wishes for Chile and my IVF cycle.

      Delete
  4. Poor baby!!!! They can be so stoic. Our pup will probably need knee surgery at some point but the vet has said he would like to wait a while and see. She limps if she runs too much, but it's gone in a day so he said it might not be worth it.

    Anyway I'm sorry about gorgeous Chile :( Hope you're doing okay!

    As for IVF, it sounds like things are going so well!! All those lovely follies and minimal side effects? Sounds GOOD! Hope J is able to find the strength to do the shot. It took so much willpower for me to do mine and it probably would have been harder for me on someone else!! Good luck hon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, your dog too. Geez, what's up with all our dogs?!

      So well with lovely follies and minimal side effects! I hope he can do the shot on me. I think he can. Thanks for the luck!

      Delete